Thursday 12 September 2013

Noises of Art Conference

Last week, I attended a fascinating conference on Noises of Art in Aberystwyth, at the Arts Centre and the university's School of Art.

I have loved Aberystwyth, the university and place itself, ever since coming here as an undergrad long ago in the 1970s. In first year, I studied Art, French and Italian and modern languages were in the Old Coll. Some of my Italian classes were in a little turret room up a winding staircase with the gulls wheeling outside the window!




This is Juls and Ed on the prom with the Old Coll building on the left  -  taken about 10 years ago now on a visit to Wales before we moved over permanently.



Arthur pictured on the same day as Juls and Ed  -  the weather was lovely!


I also stayed in the then women's hall of residence, Alexandra Hall, which is located at the end of the prom by Constitution Hill. My room was in the annexe, right at the top and, in bad weather, little pebbles would be tossed up by the spray right over the roof and could be heard running down over the tiles! When seas were rough and heavy waves rolled in, dashing themselves against the sea wall, if I hadn't locked my room door or shut it especially firmly, the door would swing gently open and shut to the reverberation of the crashing water  -  a very exciting place to live!


Self with Juliette on a windy winter's day five or six years ago, with Constitution Hill and Alexandra Hall under the lowering violet skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment